WHY PRESS PLAY FOR SENIOR CITIZENS?
Use it or lose it:
The brain is like any other muscle in your body. If you don’t use it, it will diminish in both strength and flexibility.
Did you know that at any age it is possible for a healthy brain to expand its “memory powers”? Like your body your brain responds hugely to a small amount of exercise and memory exercises.
Did you know that you can train a FIT BRAIN to think more coherently no matter what age that brain is?
- A FIT BRAIN will help us remember positive things of our lives from the past and everyday events.
- A FIT BRAIN will help us balance and retain mobility so that we can enjoy our surroundings as much as possible.
- A FIT BRAIN will help us read and digest newspapers and magazine articles so that we can keep fully up-to-date with what’s happening in our world on a day-to-day basis.
- A FIT BRAIN enables us to remember everyday tasks so that we can carry out an active life and be as independent as far as possible.
- It is essential to maintain a FIT BRAIN to enjoy life as far as possible.
We at PRESS PLAY have developed a programme to help keep a FIT BRAIN independent of age.
WHAT IS THE PRESS PLAY USE IT OR LOSE IT PROGRAMME?
Of course it is easy to say “you cannot teach an old dog new tricks”. But personally I have never heard an old dog say that!
Senior people tend to fixate the fact that memory is not “as good as it used to be” but the brain is more much more than just a memory device, it is a living organ and like the rest of the body maintenance helps keep the brain fit!
At PRESS PLAY we will instruct senior citizens on how to:
Use visual memory to remember names and faces, dates and appointments, a series of tasks for each day, shopping lists and all other everyday skills.
- We will explain how the brain actually works so that senior citizens can learn to look after their brain.
- We will explain how the brain affects mobility and how to maintain mobility.
- We were shown how to extract maximum information from newspapers or magazines.
- How to remember the detail from television programmes.
All of this helps keeps our brain is in touch with the real everyday world so that we can discuss everyday matters with others.
By drawing up an “LIVING FAMILY TREE” and committing it to our visual memory we can keep up-to-date with the names ages interests and hobbies of all involved in the family. This allows full participation in family life and discussions of family life.
By practising these skills we can maintain a fully independent enjoyable life with confidence.
SENIOR CITIZEN TRAINING COURSES
Training courses can either be on an individual one-to-one basis or in small groups of up to 6 senior citizens.
The course takes place over a period of four consecutive weeks and approximately 2 hours per week.
Participants in the course will be trained in various memory skills and brain processing exercises which they will practice each day in between the training days.
PRESS PLAY SENIOR CITIZEN INSTRUCTOR TRAINING COURSE
We are at present looking for suitable candidates to train.
Candidates should have experience caring for senior citizens and helping them to maintain their independence. Candidates should enjoy working with senior citizens and be able to help them maintain their enthusiasm for life.